Friday 7 December 2012

Review: Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Tinted Balm

When this little beauty arrived on my doorstep this morning, I was left absolutely gobsmacked by the sheer beauty and quality of the packaging. Despite their being such a huge amount of hype surrounding the super-high coverage 'Sensual Skin Enhancer' I've never gotten around to trying it myself, but to be honest, this new tinted moisturiser type product seems a little more up my street anyway.

So it goes without saying that the packaging is stunning. Unique, classy, compact and very tactile. The see-through panel on the front is a type of matte silicone material that allows you to squeeze the product out, while the rest of the packaging is a hard plastic, with Kevyn Aucoin's signature metallic black and red finish.

The packaging alone made me desperate to love this product, just so that it could make it a permanent addition to my makeup bag.
The consistency of the product is much more akin to a BB cream than a tinted moisturiser... It's thicker, and takes a little bit more effort to blend it in. The most obvious comparison to make here would be with the Chantecaille Just Skin tinted moisturiser... Both have a similar aim and a premium price point (though I must note that this comes in considerably more affordable than the Chantecaille at £36 compared to £57)

So what's the verdict? The application is pretty much the same as the Chantecaille, very 'BB'-like in texture. 
The finish is very natural and super lightweight. As the name would suggest, it enhances your skin rather than covering it, leaving you with naturally glowing, fresh-looking skin. Having said that it is slightly build-able, so you can get a nice light-medium coverage from it if you layer it.

The one issue I did have with this on my skin, was that I found it to be a tiny bit drying. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it did seem to have better staying power than Chantecaille's Just Skin throughout the day, and it 'settles' in to the skin nicely after an hour or so (perhaps thanks to the Japanese bloodgrass, which is meant to help maintain moisture in the skin). I think this would be a great choice for oily skin types as it's less likely to disappear during the day than a lot of other similar products.

It also has some added skincare properties including botanical rice extract that works to preserve cell vitality, delay ageing and soothe and calm the skin. It's paraben, D5 and oil free, protects against UVA and UVB with a 'theoretic' SPF of 20 (I'm not exactly sure what that entails, but some reviews have stated that it doesn't contain SPF at all, when apparently it does - always good news!)

One major downfall for the product is the shade range. There are a mere 4 shades in the range, the shade I tried is the second lightest, so it doesn't seem to cater for all skin tones at the moment - hopefully that is something that will change in the future if the product sells well.

Overall, I think the packaging is slightly more impressive than the product, but the product is still nice, and I will certainly use it up. I think it may be better suited to oily skins so I would be interested to hear if anyone else out there has tried this yet, and what you thought?

The Sensual Tinted Balm is available now at SpaceNK stores, priced at £36 for 30ml. You can also buy the Chantecaille Just Skin from Space NK, priced at £57 for 50ml
Share:

48 comments

  1. I love your blog and reviews! Please check out my blog and let me know what you think? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not very often there is a BB Cream type product that is suitable for oily skin! I struggle with finding something light coverage, but that doesn't turn my face into an oil slick!

    thoughtsfromanothergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely, need to pop to Space NK to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  4. The packaging is brilliant haha x

    http://vividiorquue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Garnier BB cream is just starting to run out so maybe I will have to give this a try!


    allurecube.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. the packaging is so simple and classy! love it

    xo Cassy
    http://theworkette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the packaging , sleek and classy !


    Liyana ♥
    LiyanasAdvice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh i'd really like to try this. i have quite oily skin so this could be perfect. i'll be popping it on my christmas list. really great review :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. maaa if I had the money :C nice review xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. finally something for oily skin!! yay i'm super excited to try this product, thank you fleur :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. the packaging looks so sleek! sounds like a lovely product
    http://jodie-melissa.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The packaging was amazing! Would totally look into this if my skin was a little better haha! Girl problems XO

    Please check out my blog if you get a chance, I've just started out and any comments or followers would mean the world to me <3

    dottymakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The packaging looks so classy.
    I'm always excited to try something new, so I might check this one out.

    Xx
    Beautylovebooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What spectacular packaging! It is nice to actually hear about a BB type cream that works form oily skin because I know that has been a challenge for many people. I am on the lookout for a chemical free "natural" BB cream or tinted moisturizer right now.

    -Emily
    http://from-small-beginnings.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This does sound really nice, but I have dry skin so maybe the drying effect wouldn't be too good for me! Lovely review though Fleur! xx

    http://belle-amiebeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. The packaging on that looks so adorable!

    Katie,
    www.beautdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like Chantecaille Just Skin, but it is pretty pricey and so it is good that this is similar at a lower price. Sounds like this could be good for more oily skin too where make up can tend to slide off. The packaging is super sleek, and I love a good skin enhancer, so I will be trying this one.x

    Jess,
    http://spoiltface.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has got my attention. For some reason my forehead has started to get quite oily during the day and I'm having trouble making any base work for me even once I've set it.

    The packaging is gorgeous, it looks so sleek.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds amazing so want to try x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh This sounds delightful, Must Try!

    Great post, Followed!

    My Fashion/Beauty Blog
    http://xfruitytooty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so good! I have an oily T-zone so it sounds like it would be good for me :)

    http://hannahhboom.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow looks great! I've been wondering about trying the just skin but this seems more affordable for a similar product! Space NK watch out for me!!
    Becky xx
    http://beckysbeautybox.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  23. This packaging is incredible. I am almost tempted to purchase this purely to stare at it on my dressing table!
    I will have to look into the foundation version as I prefer a fuller coverage but come summer I just might give this a go!
    Great review Fleur!
    xx
    http://champagnelifestyleonalemonadebudget.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. It seems overpriced for your review of it, but I fall in love with packaging over product all the time it's such a bad habit and an expensive one at that

    http://alittlebitunique.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. i find shades are a problem with kevyn aucoin products as well! I've tried the ethereal pressed powder, and though lovely it was, it was hard finding the perfect shade out of five choices!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The packaging looks cool!

    giselaisback.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the packaging, it's so unusual! My skin is prone to getting oily so I might give this a try after Christmas!

    so-obsessed-with.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow.... now THAT... is how to design packaging!

    :-O

    Claire

    http://clairedempseymua.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the packaging! What nail polish are you wearing in the picture?

    http://heyitsemily25.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds like a great product! Too bad I can't find Kevin Aucoin in Dubai :(

    thebeautyresidence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hardly can find Kevin Aucoin in Spain too. My skin is quite oily as well, so I´d love to try this product!

    http://mymakeupcompulsion.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fleur, for reference, what shade are you in both of these products? -xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. sounds like a very classy product but it is a shame about the shade range

    xjoedix.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  34. sounds wonderful! sure I'd be too pale for it though unfortunately :( x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was looking at the pictures of the product, thinking, hmm does it have a lid as that's a large area for the product to be out in the air.... until I realised that's just the packaging, not actual product! I'm slow today!

    http://thelittlekoala.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice review :) I like the packaging of this product.

    Kimberley x

    Http://kimberley77.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the reviews you give and the product sound nice! <3 xo

    http://styleitwithme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am so tempted to buy the Chantecallie just skin tinted moisturiser.. I will give in soon, poor poor bank card! :)

    And know I want to try some Kevyn Aucoin products OH NO :)

    when I do buy them I will review them on my blog as well.

    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  39. hey, so i know you and most of your readers love joliebox - i just logged in to my account and was horrified to see that I could see all of the account details of someone I have never heard of. Their address, mobile phone and full name was there - all in the "my subscriptions" section of MY account. It appears that I have been paying for jolie boxes each month and they have been shipped to this person (strange because i have received mine) however, the thing I am concerned about is that YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS COULD BE VISIBLE TO SOMEONE ELSE TOO. Please log-on and check. I have sent jolie box an email and PLEASE urge you to do the same on support@joliebox.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm in love with the packaging! I would be interested to know which you prefer, this or the Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser?

    www.victoriasbeautysecretsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. SUCH A GREAT STYLE HONEY
    XX

    KISSES FROM SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  42. the packaging is literally amazing it looks like such a lovely thing to have! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a darn PRETTY packaging! (Yes, I'm a sucker for packaging...)
    http://mistletea.blogspot.be/2012/12/lippies.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. Kevyn Aucoin has the best products :) I hope i can try this too!!

    ♥,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  45. This looks so nice but they probably wouldnt have a shade to suit me yet as I'm pretty pale!

    I've just started up my own blog and would love it if you could check it out!
    Http://hannahrebekahcampbell.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  46. this is lovely :)

    http://rainbowveinsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the packaging really is lovely no surprise as it's kevin aucoin. lucky you thanks for the info! xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

      Delete

© Fleur De Force | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig