Wednesday 22 October 2014

ghd Curve Review & My Chicago Curl Diary!

The week before last, ghd invited me on an extra special trip to Chicago, 'The Windy City' to test out and review their new range of curlers, ghd Curve. Obviously this wasn't an opportunity I could turn down. I've never been to Chicago before and it's always been on my list of places I'd love to visit. I've also been a huge fan of ghd for many years, so I was really excited not only to hear that they were launching a range of curlers, but also to try them out myself! I've had so many comments and tweets over the past couple of weeks asking me what I thought of them, so I thought I would do a proper in-depth review on my blog.
First of all, it's important to note the design and packaging of the whole range, as it is simply stunning...
Each curler comes in a gorgeous sleek black case with rose gold hardware and a detachable heat mat.
These types of cases are quite the norm for ghd straighteners, but I have to say the ones for Curve are the best quality I've ever seen. This packaging is limited edition for Christmas this year, so if you want to get your hands on the rose gold case, you'll have to move pretty fast!
The curlers themselves are matte black, feel smooth to the touch, and sturdy in construction. The on/off button flashes to let you know they are warming up, and illuminates to indicate they are at full heat. They also chime when you switch them on, and again when they reach full heat (185'C, apparently the optimal temperature for maximum styling potential with minimal damage to your hair)

All of the curlers have the same tri-zone technology that the ghd Eclipse stylers had before them. This means they have a more even heat distribution than regular curlers, so you can use the full length of the wand and achieve a consistent style along the length of the hair. They also have sensors that ensure the 185'C temperature is maintained throughout the styling process (as some heat is transferred to the hair itself when you wrap you hair around the barrel). All of this is basically meant to ensure that you get a more even curl, in less time, that lasts longer, and with less damage to your hair.
L-R: Classic Wave Wand, Creative Curl Wand, Classic Curl Iron, Soft Curl Iron
There are four different curlers to choose from; two wands and two tongs. They all look the part... but how do they actually perform, and how on earth are you meant to choose just one?!

I tried out a different curler every day in Chicago, so here is my Curl Diary from my trip. For the sake of a fair trial, I didn't use any hair products except a leave-in heat protectant. No hair spray, no serum, no texturiser, nothing. Here's how I got on.

Day 1 - The Classic Wave Wand
The Classic Wave Wand was the one that stood out to me the most, so I wanted to try it first. The unusual large oval barrel is designed to create classic 'Hollywood' curls (like in the picture above), but don't let this put you off if vintage-style waves aren't your thing. If you start the curl a little higher (about 1/3 way down my hair) and don't brush them totally smooth, you get beautiful, relaxed waves. This is exactly the kind of look I like when using a curling wand, and the curls lasted all day out and about.

Day 2 - The Soft Curl Iron
I have to admit I was a little apprehensive to move away from a wand to a tong, as I've used wands for years and think they are much quicker and easier to use, however I actually found this tong really simple to use and it only took 5 minutes longer than the wand. The result was quite glamourous: big bouncy curls that looked like a traditional blow dry. I think these would be great if you love that classic blow-out look but don't have the time or cash to get it done in a salon every week (who does?!).

Day 3 - The Classic Curl Iron
After using the bigger tongs, I wasn't quite so worried about using the Classic Curl Iron the next day. I have to say that this took the longest and was probably my least favourite look of the four... but having said that, it wasn't half bad! This gave me more of a classic 'curl' (hence the name!) but they lasted well throughout the day. These would be best if you like a 'proper', glamourous curl.

Day 4 - The Creative Curl Wand
Last but not least came the Creative Curl Wand. These definitely look the most intruiging of the bunch, and were really quick and easy to use. The resulting waves were actually not much like ghd's example picture, as I curled them all the same direction, which gives you a much smoother look (which I prefer). The curls are smaller than the Classic Wave Wand, but you can definitely create more of a 'beachy' look if you used texturising spray. This was definitely my joint favourite with the Classic Wave Wand.
All in all, if I were to buy just one of these, I would go for the Classic Waving Wand, but I have to say I did love the Creative Curl Wand almost as much, and the Soft Curl Iron too. There's definitely something for everyone! The staying power was the best I've ever experienced using a curler (especially considering I didn't use any products to help.) They are quite pricey at £110 each, but unmatched in quality, presentation and performance. It took ghd a long time to move into making curlers (they've always promoted how great the straighteners are for curling too) but I think these will do tremendously well. They are the best I've tried.

It's fair to say, I've never had such fabulous hair on holiday! It was such a treat to try these new stylers out, let alone to do it in Chicago, so a big thank you to ghd for the opportunity, and to all of you reading this for making it possible too.

You can buy the ghd Curve collection now, from the ghd website.
Share:

96 comments

  1. Cool Post Fluer! :D
    I love your videos, so when I discovered you had a blog I was like OMG must follow! So I did! :D
    Will be checking these out for sure
    ~Evie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like reading blogs please check out mine :)

      Delete
  2. You hair looks really lovely like that! It suits you so well.

    xxx | daisydaisyxxo
    enter my Christmas giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GHD's are so luxe looking! I think the results speak for themselves, your hair looked flawless all through your Chicago vlogs!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! You looked incredible!

      Stephanie
      http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/
      http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3436251
      xxxx

      Delete
  4. I love what you did with your hair using the Creative Curl Wand. From your vlogs it looks like you had a fantastic weekend away!

    Kim

    My Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair looks really lovely in these pictures :) Really wish I could afford one of these haha. I love the look of the curls you got with the creative wand.

    - lana (lana-sultana.blogspot.com) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Creative Curl Wand looks great. Love all your pictures, you look like you both had so much fun!
    Rosanna and Laura x

    http://rosesrooftop.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks beaut! Makes me want longer hair!!

    STONE FOX INC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing!

    beprettybym.blogspot.cz

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! I would love to try it out one day :)
    Marissa Jamie : Faithfully, Marissa ♡

    ReplyDelete
  10. The classic wave wand looks like it would be my fave. Thanks for writing this in-depth review Fleur, it was really interesting to see how they all performed. x

    www.savvysuperstylish.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion the best result made the creative curl wand. I have already seen some videos and it had to be an awsome trip.

    http://travelnote-s.blogspot.cz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I ask you which of the wands your friend used to achieve her waves in the first set of photos? Her hair looked amazing too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She used the creative curl wand - She has AMAZING her too - it looked great on her I agree! :)

      Delete
  13. I love that there has been an iron released! I find it so hard to find a good curling tool that I can use myself. May just have to save up and make an investment. Woohoo (adds it to Xmas list!)

    x

    http://www.justadd-ginger.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hair looks so lovely! It's so hard to find a decent curling iron now. I love the look of the creative curl wand!
    Jodie xo // La Lune Song

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! If i had to choose, would definitely go for the classic waving wand too :)

    www.RainyAllie.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the loose waves it looks absolutely gorgeous!

    ~Sharon

    www.orchhajewels.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. They all look fab from your pics Fleur. I keep saying I should try some products from GHD but the price tag always puts me off!!

    Louise x

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper

    ReplyDelete
  18. They all sound fab, especially the creative curl wand! Really enjoyed your Chicago vlogs too xx

    A Fashion Tale // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice post :)

    http://lamodestieaveclestyle.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah these are amazing. Having only used my straighteners for curls I hadn't realised just how many different shapes as opposed to tightness you can achieve! My hair is particularly stubborn at holding curls even when killed in hairspray, would you say that these would work as well for me, or any product in particular?

    Thank you

    Chez x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the look of all the curls but I agree that the oval shaped barrel wand creates the best look!

    Ting | www.thetingthing.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this can NOT wait until my hair grows I am never ever ever getting it cut off again :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the sound of these! The wands both look beautiful and I love that they last the whole day :) x

    http://abeautyromancee.blogspot.co.uk
    http://abeautyromancee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. The design of this is just so sleek! I love it!
    Your hair looks amazing throughout, Fleur! <3
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.com | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog 

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow so jelly!! That looks stunning love the design and how your hair turned out

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how good and in depth your reviews always are.. And honest! Thanks for sharing. Those sound amazing!

    Kim
    http://trendkeeper.me

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how honest you are with this review! The curlers look amazing! If only I can afford it hahahah.

    http://enchantingsparks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, you look amazing! I love the curls! x

    http://www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your hair looks stunning!

    Missmacbeauty | Missmacbeauty

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your hair looks gorgeous! I definitely want to try these.

    Sarah x
    http://missarahlouise.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this! Your hair looks amazing, I definitely need to try these :)

    Life As Lissy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the curls they make, so awesome

    check me out

    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. My favorites were the first and the last. The curls look amazing. What heat protector are you using right now?

    Love, Jessi
    http://jessiibrownie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the first and last curls :) The last one is really dramatic, but the first one has really delicate and precise ringlets! :)
    <3 katie
    http://luvelylittlelulladoll.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your hair, Fleur! Straight & curled :)
    Have a nice day ♥
    http://stylemaquillage.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loved the post!
    Your hair always looks so beautiful! :)
    http://theblueoaktree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Serious hair envy right now, Fleur! :)

    xoxo
    http://simplicity-in-pink.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  38. I much prefer a waving wand to a curling iron, as I just love the subtle waves it produces and would have also picked that same one as you did. Lovely pictures and your hair looks great in all of those styles :) x

    Georgina | HeadInTheClouds

    ReplyDelete
  39. All the different curls look really lovely! x
    http://thegirlwhocriedmoda.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow they look so lovely and you look amazing with all the curls!

    www.angerawrs.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  41. You hair looked spectacular throughout your Chicago vlogs and I can see why now! ghd has beautiful tools and they're so chicly packaged, too! Great post!

    - Amanda | The Chic Counsel

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi, love this post. I didn't even know they were releasing these., might have to invest! I think my favourite is the first one for the glamourous look.
    Did you enjoy Chicago?
    I have just come back and I LOVED it! (I have blogged about it if you want convincing).

    Thanks, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  43. Uh, this is perfect! Always wanted to achieve curls like this!

    http://itslolll.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. These all look so great on you! My favourites are the classic waving and soft curl...might be very poor soon aha!

    Lizzie // xBeautyMagic

    ReplyDelete
  45. The trip looked like it was so much fun!
    And that curling wand is so amazing. I might need to get one!

    xo, Danyelle
    danyelledee.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. amazing blog fleur


    http://myroutinesjade.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love all of the looks but last one is definitely my favourite! Looks like you have had great time

    http://sparklygoddess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love all the hair looks, but the second one I LOVE more! :D

    andreiaviera.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  49. Gorgeous hairstyles Fleur!

    http://shewhoisshort.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  50. That s a great post!

    Love the looks

    http://www.thebeautyaddictions.uk
    http://www.thebeautyaddictions.uk

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love the first look!! I love the Hollywood glamour style- would be perfect for a night out! X
    www.blondierockss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your trip to Chicago looked incredible! All those looks were lovely but the creative wand is my favourite! I'd love to try curling wands like these- like any, but I'm unfortunately too lazy hahah.

    http://distortedcuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow, that trip was amazing!

    www.alemint.co

    ReplyDelete
  54. i love ghd and i cannot wait to try its curlers! xx

    claudiamedas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Oh wow I love these curlers and you really look super pretty with those gorgeous curls!

    Much love xxx
    CHRISTINANISTA.COM

    ReplyDelete
  56. I have just started a blog as i thought it looked so much fun! you get to design what you want it to look like and personalise it to you. I would be so grateful if anyone could take a look and give me advice on how to improve it. link below :)

    http://alisimo8.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  57. I'm so excited that they have released curlers as I'm a big fan of the ghd straighteners. It sounds like you had a great trip!

    Hannah x
    BLAB

    ReplyDelete
  58. I love my GHD straighteners, and use them to curl my hair as well as straighten it, so I'm really excited to see they've brought out their own curling wands. All the results look beautiful on you, but I particularly love the wider barrels as they give such a soft, wavy look. x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'm going to have to start saving to get one of these ! They look stunning . Please check out my blog I just started ! Http://themakeupbook101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  60. I really need to get myself one of these! :)

    If you like blogs like this, I'd love for you to check out mine, I'm sure you will LOVE IT (hopefully) :)

    Beautiiboots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. I love 'Day One'! And the matte packaging of the iron looks really cool!

    deasynoel.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. They look really good, I've always been a fan on things that GHD come out with (especially their straighteners) , might have to try this for myself :) I just made my own beauty blog would love if you would all check it out http://flutterbeautyxo.weebly.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  63. Your blog posts are so helpful! :) I really need to get myself one of these

    If you like blogs like this, I'd love for you to check out mine, I'm sure you will LOVE IT :D

    Beautiiberry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  64. I need the creative curl wand !
    themakeupbook101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  65. These look so amazing! Your hair looks stunning in every single photograph. I love the Classic Curl Wand, I need it!! :)

    Claudia xx | Beauty and the Chic

    ReplyDelete
  66. You're hair looks amazing, Fleur! I wish my hair would curl like that! xx

    beyond-brunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  67. I think I like the classic curl wand and the creative curl wand the best! Lovely photos! :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  68. Your hair just looks so gorgeous curled! Beautiful pictures too Fleur :)

    Jordan Nicole.
    jordannicole07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  69. Your hair looks so nice curled! I wish I could afford one of these :(

    http://meerawrrrr.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  70. I have just started a beauty, fashion and lifestyle blog and I would really appriate it if you could take a look and comment on what you would like me to post and improvements xxx (link below)

    http://alisimo8.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  71. Such a useful and thorough post! Thank you! This has really helped me in making the decision on which curling wand to purchase next!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Hi! :-) I love your blog!! Thanks for an inspiring post! xoxo Heidie

    ReplyDelete
  73. You look beautiful! <3 love the sound of the new GHD Curve! I haven't got one yet but noticed them at my hair salon and really wanted to buy one! xx

    www.krystelcouture.com | Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  74. Hi Fleur :)
    I wasn't sure if I should pre-order the creative curl wand or if it would be worth the money, but after reading this and watching your October favourites I decided to buy one! Very excited to try it out especially seeing the way it curled your hair!
    Thank you for your advice and help :)

    ReplyDelete
  75. haha just reminising of the times when I introduced my friend to blogs and I showed her yours and when she was reading the title she was like "flun le fuor?" LOL!! I cracked up! Your blog is so amazing she is now obsessed with you! I am to ! I have watched you since you first started YT and read your blog since the beginning and I love it!!

    humphreysworld

    ReplyDelete
  76. That's so cool! I have super thick hair so curls almost never hold! I definitely want to try these.

    www.happythroughhealth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  77. looks great!!

    www.mandybjawa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  78. The creative curling wand looks great! I may have to save up and try that one out!

    Xo, Vanessa (Delightful Sunflower)

    ReplyDelete
  79. I want this curlers. I always curl my hair

    ReplyDelete
  80. Love your hair in all of the styles and I am so happy that you had a great time in Chicago! I live just north of there and always love visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. This is such a great review, I curl my hair all the time. I have added a pair of these onto my xmas wish list.

    www.beatricelily.com

    ReplyDelete
  82. These types of cases are quite the norm for ghd straighteners, but I have ... straightenercurler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  83. I personally love my Karmin

    ReplyDelete
  84. Manfaat Beauty Water - Untuk mencerahkan wajah- Untuk menghilangkan flek hitam - Untuk melembabkan kulit wajah -Untuk mengencangkan kulit wajah. Nah untuk manfaat dan cara pakai buat obat kuat di kami menambah keharmonisa rumah tangga anda.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Manfaat Beauty Water - Untuk mencerahkan wajah- Untuk menghilangkan flek hitam - Untuk melembabkan kulit wajah -Untuk mengencangkan kulit wajah. Nah untuk manfaat dan cara pakai buat obat kuat di kami menambah keharmonisa rumah tangga anda.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Manfaat Beauty Water - Untuk mencerahkan wajah- Untuk menghilangkan flek hitam - Untuk melembabkan kulit wajah -Untuk mengencangkan kulit wajah. Nah untuk manfaat dan cara pakai buat obat kuat di kami menambah keharmonisa rumah tangga anda.

    ReplyDelete
  87. These types of cases are quite the norm for ghd straighteners, but I have ... cstraightener.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  88. what i can say about this product!! amazing really and thank you for share with us like this post
    argan oil bulk

    ReplyDelete

© Fleur De Force | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig